Folklore in a digital career


It might seem like an oxymoron to mix folklore and the digital realm together, but many people forget that the field isn't all about history. Folkloristics is actually a specific part of anthropology, which also studies contemporary cultures, practises and traditions. As such, a background or interest in folklore can be integrated into many current jobs, from archiving, business management and events co-ordinating.

My job is in digital marketing. Every day I communicate with bloggers and webmasters from all over the world who write about different things, from mothering and DIY to finance and travel. Every one of these genres has its own folklore and it's up to me to be aware of that and use it to help me in my job. I need to be sensitive to some issues and take advantage of others in order to form a relationship.

The internet is a breeding ground for folklore because it's so massive. One group of people may use Twitter much more often than another (such as tech bloggers) while maybe retirement webmasters prefer an email or a phone call. I know that if I'm speaking to someone based in Finland, I won't expect any responses from them on Midsummer's Eve because it's a Finnish holiday. A craft blogger may prefer a more creative competition idea than someone who runs a finance site.

By researching the folklore of each internet group that I'm frequently in touch with and finding out a little bit about each individual person, it gives me an edge when reaching out to them. Just because you're not in a job that deals with history doesn't mean that folklore study can't help with your job.

Comments

  1. Exactly! I'm so glad you posted this because this is the argument I've been trying to convey lately. Oftentimes when I meet people and tell them that I study folklore in my free time, they automatically assume fairy tales and mythology. I mean, don't take me wrong, that is a big part of folklore, but the truth is that it's such a liberal field that it really dabbles in every discipline. I guess the vagueness of the field is the reason why folkloristics and folklore is regarded as unacademic by some scholarly circles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to hear more pieces of folklore you come across. Such as maybe a common beliefs among certain bloggers and such.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts